UCA Summer Camp Assistant Director
Location: Bishkek/Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Duration: May 6th – August 5th, 2016
Deadline: 15 March 2016
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. UCA’s mission is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities:
- This year, UCA is hosting its second Academic Enrichment Summer Camp for 80 Grade 10 students from the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan and Tajikistan. During the camp, students will receive English language and Mathematics upgrading, as well as participate in a range of academic and non-academic sporting and recreational activities. The camp will be held at UCA Naryn Campus from Monday, July 11th until Sunday, July 31st.
- The UCA Summer Camp will be primarily academic in focus, with four hours of the participants’ day spent in an English and Math upgrading programme. The role of the Assistant Camp Director will be to support the Camp Director in overall operations onsite and offsite for the duration of the UCA Summer Camp. The objective of this role is to shadow the Camp Director in the UCA Summer Camp 2016, with the intention to fill this position for the UCA Summer Camp in 2017.
The Assistant Camp Director will:
- Support in managing Counsellor and Assistant Counselor team
- Support in overseeing camp schedules (classrooms, sports and evening activities)
- Support in the development and preparation of materials for the Summer Camp Counsellor and Teacher training sessions
- Support in finalizing the UCA Summer Camp Evening Programme 2016 Manual
- Support with visa, and travel needs for camp participants and staff
- Ensure camp activities schedule, safety procedures and regulations are being followed by all camp staff and participants
- Manage completion of camp learnings reports and recommendations for UCA Summer Camp 2017
Skills and Experience:
- Experience participating in a summer camp or a summer educational programme as a Counsellor or as part of a Leadership team
- Experience working with a group of students from mixed cultural, social and educational backgrounds as well as students in high school
- Experience participating in an upgrading educational programme or an English immersion programme would be desirable
- Experience organizing and leading cultural events, talent shows, recreation group activities etc.
- Experience managing a group of students from mixed cultural, social and educational backgrounds
- Native-like proficiency in English
- Ideally looking for a student currently in 2nd or 3rd year University. Others are still encouraged to apply.
- The Assistant Camp Director will report to the Camp Director.
The job description is subject to change.
How to apply:
- Please send your CV and a cover letter, detailing your interest, experience and motivation for this position by 15 March 2016. Interviews will be held in person. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “UCA Summer Camp Assistant Director”.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000. The Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic and Kazakhstan and His Highness the Aga Khan signed the International Treaty and Charter establishing this secular and private University.
UCA consists of its Undergraduate School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Professional and Continuing Education, the Institute of Public Policy and Administration, the Mountain Societies Research Institute, the Cultural Heritage and Humanities Unit, the Central Asian Faculty Development Programme and the Aga Khan Humanities Project. The University brings with it the commitment and partnership of the Aga Khan Development Network.
The University is advancing construction of three residential campuses in Khorog, Tajikistan; Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic; and Tekeli, Kazakhstan that will serve 3,600 students when fully operational. UCA will launch its undergraduate degree programmes at its campuses in Naryn in September 2016, in Khorog in 2017, and in Tekeli in 2019.